Our Check Up and Clean dental service forms the heart of our preventative dental philosophy. This service involves a thorough examination of your whole mouth, including the skin inside your mouth as well as the teeth and gums. The cleaning removes plaque and tartar from your teeth to help prevent tooth decay and gum disease. At our dental clinic in Blackburn, our gentle dentists and modern facilities ensures that your Check Up and Clean is a comfortable experience.
Regular Check Up and Cleans along with your at-home teeth cleaning routine will keep your whole mouth healthy and happy.
- Our Dental Check & Clean includes
- Do I Need a Dental X-Ray?
- Our Preventative Dentistry Philosophy
- The Benefits of Preventative Dentistry are:
- Frequency of Check & Cleans
Our Dental Check Up and Clean includes:
- Plaque and tartar removal
- A systematic check of the skin inside your mouth to screen for early signs of oral cancer.
- Checking the condition of your teeth for decay.
- Looking for any changes in your teeth since your last visit which can include accelerated tooth wear from tooth grinding, acid erosion or incorrect brushing. These issues are often caused by small daily habits which you may not realise could be causing damage to your teeth. By picking up signs of damage early, we can counsel you to make changes, so that the damage doesn’t continue in your teeth.
- Checking the condition of your gum for signs of disease.
- Dental photographs, if necessary, to aid in the discussion process.
Book your dental Check Up & Clean today
Do I Need an X-Ray of my Teeth?
Every 1-2 years, we highly recommend an x-ray to check for any potential damage between the teeth or below the gum that is not visible during the clinical examination. This will also allow us to check the foundation of the tooth roots and ensure that bone support is at a healthy level. The frequency of these screening x rays depends on your risk of dental disease and is assessed on an individual basis.
A common concern that we are asked about is whether radiation level of dental x-rays are safe. Whitehorse Dental is equipped with the latest in digital x-ray technology, so the degree of radiation is extremely low. To give a comparison, if you took a 1-hour flight from Melbourne to Sydney, you would experience the same level of radiation as you would from 2 dental X-rays.
You can obtain an x-ray of your teeth at your next visit to our Blackburn clinic. If you have x-rays that are less than 1 years old, we can request them from your previous dentist.
Our Preventative Dentistry Philosophy
It’s the age old saying: prevention is better than a cure. We wholeheartedly believe in the preventative dentistry philosophy as this is the type of treatment that we would want for our family and friends.
Preventative Dentistry is an approach to dental care that looks at the whole mouth rather than just a single tooth. Instead of just fixing a single tooth problem when they occur, our dentists consider the whole mouth to assess how we can prevent any further dental problems from happening.
The preventative philosophy that we practice focuses on Minimal Intervention, Early Diagnosis and Regular Preventative Care.
Our experienced team will tailor a preventative program for you so that we can catch problems before they start.
The Benefits of Preventative Dentistry
- It builds effective dental care habits to help maintain your teeth for life
- It’s especially important if you’ve experienced lots of dental problems in the past
- It suits people who are tired of going to the dentist often to fix teeth problems
- More frequent checks are beneficial for smokers or those who are at higher risk of dental problems
- It’s helpful for those who experience dental anxiety and phobia
- It suits busy people who can’t afford the time off for unexpected dental emergencies
Book in to start your preventative teeth care today.
Frequency of Check Up and Cleans
The frequency of Check Up and Clean visits depend on your risk profile: how likely you are to develop a dental issue between dental visits. For some people who carry a high risk of gum disease or tooth decay, we may recommend visits every 3-4 months. For low risk patients who have mastered their preventative home care, our dentists can recommend a visit every 6-12 months. Even if you’ve traditionally experienced dental problems, our dentists will equip you with the best and most efficient way of looking after your teeth so that you can transition from high risk to low risk.
Contact our experienced dentists in Blackburn to chat more.